Yes. That just happened.
You have been reading Faye and Zoe’s origin story. Every part of the Orb’s storyline in A Drop in the Ocean took place over ten years ago, and set up the entire Girls in Space overarching story.
You may be wondering if there were any clues that this was coming?
- The green space capsule that took the princess from Brio was the same capsule the sisters crash land in the Prototype.
- On several occasions Faye makes reference to being in hiding, this is later revealed to be because the Klaxicans are hunting her and Zoe.
- Mentioning the Klaxicans seems to upset Zoe or terrify Faye.
- As for the issue of Zoe and Faye being Brion mermaids, both Zoe and Faye make reference to being very strong swimmers.
- During this story, I had a little fun playing with the fact out that Zoe and Faye’s planet of origin has never been mentioned in the comic.
- As for the Orb, we know that he is the same race as the Klaxicans, which perhaps explains why he was on Brio in the first place (if he was a scout sent ahead before the Klaxican invasion of Brio, but somehow injured).
- The last time we saw Faye and Red, Faye was about to tell Red a story. It may be clear now that the story she is telling is in fact the origin story we have been reading.
A couple of readers made comments recently, indicating they had worked out that the Orb’s story was set in the past. If you were amongst those who twigged that the Princesses were Zoe and Faye – thank you for not directly pointing it out in the comments and spoiling the surprise for others.